Historic renovation of the Franklin Federal Savings & Loan Building including the University of Richmond Downtown tenant construction. Extensive demolition of the exterior aluminum skin and interiors on four (4) floors (8,869 SF per floor) was followed by new granite and limestone exteriors and new MEP systems. We worked with the owner and (3) architecture firms to achieve LEED Silver Certification and Historic Tax Credits. This was the first LEED project in the City to receive Historic Tax Credits. During the selective demolition and construction we protected the sgraffito mural, “The Circulation of Money,” originally created by Hans Gassman in 1956 for the Franklin Federal Savings and Loan Association. This mural is now the centerpiece for the U of R Downtown Conference Room.
Franklin Federal Building Renovation
626 Broad St
- Size: 44,345 SF
- Owner: The Wilton Companies, LLC
- Architect: Baskervill & Associates
- Completed: January 5, 2009